Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Marching along



It is hard to believe March has come and gone and that we are moving halfway through our 7th month on the boat. It has gone by both fast and slow. Being a first season live aboard cruiser I am experiencing something new almost daily. We are frequently sailing to new places, meeting new people, expanding our sailing skills,increasing both of our Spanish vocabularies and learning more about each other and ourselves.

Dinner in the cockpit off the beach in Chacala

It has been a slow process learning that activity is not the same as productivity. Learning to be grateful for the moments of reading and sunset gazing, without feeling I should be completing a task instead.  Not everyone has the opportunity or wants to give up the things required to live a smaller life. While I have had my moments as a gypsy and an easier time than most detaching from the so called 9-5, I would not be on this adventure if not for Bret.


Broesder Family arriving in La Cruz


Emma and Stacey enjoying fresh squeezed juice in Yelapa


Families today are often separated in various geographical locations. Separated by counties, states, countries, and some even oceans apart. Visitors have been an awesome gift for us, and March was no exception. My sister Stacey and niece Emma came to visit the first half of the month followed by the Broesder family the second half. Both visits were great, complete with dolphin and whale sightings, to local food tasting, and souvenir shopping. We are looking forward to the end of April when we pick up Tallen in San Jose del Cabo. Of all our guests onboard the Liahona, time with our kids are the visits we treasure the most.


March also brought with it moments of great heartache for me. After 13 years my pup Pierre passed away. My mom and step dad were generous enough to let him stay with them during cruising season. ALthough there are dogs on sailboats, Pierre was far happier to be running in their big back yard with the other dogs. He was my buddy, my best friend, and for a short time he was the other person in the apartment. It still hurts and even today I found myself shedding tears at the thought of not kissing his nose again. Many times in the past having watched a squirrel bolt around, a baby pig bounding in excitement, or pigmy goats playing leap frog I have said that reminds me of Pierre. It wasn't until today while watching a tiny bird bouncing on our railing that it made sense. Those things remind me of Pierre because in their sweet, soft, silly innocence they make me smile, just as he did, just he still does.

As I look back at the month it is not without extreme gratitude. Gratitude for all the gifts of laughter, smiles and even the tears. Proof of a month full of the greatest gift of them all, love.


Marne and Bret
SV Liahona





3 comments:

  1. Love it! Beautifully done, Marne. I'm a faithful follower of the "Dairy of a Sober Sailor" blog! XOXOXO Liz :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marne, I dont think we've ever met, but I've known and admired Bret for a ling time! This was such a beautiful post and I'm enjoying getting to "know" you thru your blog. Bret is a lucky man and I hope we get to meet someday! Sarah Idiart

    ReplyDelete